Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Ride Operations

Ride Operations Ride Operations discussion

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:03 PM
General Manager

Default Original Tower Crew

Here are some pics of the original 1969 Tower Crew.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6flagstower7.jpg (123.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sixflagscrew1.jpg (116.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg sixflagscrew2.jpg (85.9 KB, 15 views)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Gold Tag

Default Re: Original Tower Crew

It still amazes me the designers trusted that people had enough sense to not go over the side of the low railings.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Wow. That's about triple the size of the staff I had at tower in 1990, before staffing reductions. I guess the slide is included in that staff... makes sense.
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
Wow. That's about triple the size of the staff I had at tower in 1990, before staffing reductions. I guess the slide is included in that staff... makes sense.
When I worked slide in the mid 70s, the slide was a totally different crew.
I don't know if that was the case when they built the tower, but it does look like one of these three pictures is the tower crew, one is the slide crew, and one is something different, maybe scholarship winners or something, that happen to be on the top of the tower.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old August 4th, 2012, 01:08 AM

Actually, now that I look at them again, the one that would be the tower crew is very large. They should have two elevator operators, one person, maybe two at the top to make change, one to sweep the area and a swing between days and nights for breaks. That would be Six a shift at the most, 11 for both shifts.

The slide would have two or so to hand out mats and three or so to collect them, one to sweep, and one for breaks. About five to seven per shift.
www.davismccownlaw.com
Old August 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parktimes View Post
Actually, now that I look at them again, the one that would be the tower crew is very large. They should have two elevator operators, one person, maybe two at the top to make change, one to sweep the area and a swing between days and nights for breaks. That would be Six a shift at the most, 11 for both shifts.

The slide would have two or so to hand out mats and three or so to collect them, one to sweep, and one for breaks. About five to seven per shift.
Yeah, I was just talking about the picture on the platform. We generally opened with two operators (one elevator, one crossing), had a swing (two swings on busy days to run breaks and open a second elevator), so that's 2 days, 2 swings, and 2 nights at the most. I think we had 8 people on our entire crew at its highest level, which was rare - generally we had 6 and had lots of open lines. Fortunately, people liked me and liked the easy shift at tower -plus it was an easy 'operator' punch for the operator badge, so it was usually not a problem to fill my lines.