Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum  

Go Back   Six Flags over Texas Former Employee Forum > Departments > Security

Security Security discussion

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
General Manager

Default Security Duties at SFOT

Talk about a full load of responsibilities! The security staff in the past, while maintaining order throughout the park, spent many hours searching for lost belongings. In addition, they searched for missing children, removed road kill from the railroad and other ride tracks, hunted down loose, dangerous animals and reptiles, dealt with emergency situations, and provided park information.
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

That's still true today... plus they operate the front gate metal detectors and bag screening, provide crowd control for the longer queue lines (or at least did when I was in security,) staff the Lost Parents Caboose, patrol the parking lot for suspicious activity, provide assistance to people in the parking lot for lost vehicles, keys locked in cars, and the like... and manage the parking lot attendants.

After park hours or normal business hours on non-operating days, they are also responsible for fire safety.

Security is really a catch-all dept.
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
General Manager

Default Get a pot and some water and carrots....

... and even more this year...

More to come....
81-82 Colonel's Cafe, 2008 HR - Temp, 2009 Rapids & Superman, 2014 Texas Giant, Boot Scootin' & Steam Train PIC, 2015 Steam Train. 2016-2017 Side 4 Supervisor, Steam Train. Head Trainer. Co-creator of the soon to be Johnson Creek Station Museum. 2018 back at the Railroad for my 9th season!
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
General Manager

Wow! I didn't know they had to do all that extra stuff. Seems to me that the security department should be renamed the Jack-Of-All-Trades department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStroop View Post
plus they operate the front gate metal detectors and bag screening
What are they doing over there? Training employees to work at airports?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Red Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleusk View Post
Wow! I didn't know they had to do all that extra stuff. Seems to me that the security department should be renamed the Jack-Of-All-Trades department.

What are they doing over there? Training employees to work at airports?
Naw the metal detectors went in After 9/11. They wanted to keep the park safe. Still the guys at front gate have caught ppl tring to sneak in alcohol and drugs. Marsha at FG in 5 days caught 5 guys. One guard caught some guy tring to use a sprite bottle to sneak in vodka.

Anyone remember when the genrators blew up behind the carosel. Sounded likea bomb going off. Freaked ppl out by the Flume and in mexico section.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Black Tag

It seems as if things never change. I started in the Parking lot and then found myselfe on the inside doing all of those task. I know this I learned a great work ethic and had a great time doing it. Those were the days!
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Platinum Tag !

The metal detectors went in well before 9/11, maybe '95 or '96. They were installed after the conceal and carry law was passed in Texas. I don't remember if it was by choice or by law, but permit holders are not allowed to carry in the park. The metal detectors were installed to enforce that requirement.

I was in the canteen when the generator behind the carousel exploded. It looked and sounded a whole lot worse than it really was, but it was enough to scare the hell out of me. If I remember right, that happened 1 year to the day after the OKC bombing. I probably lost 10 pounds running around dealing with stranded ride units after the ensuing power failure.
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
General Manager

Location: Hurst, TX, but every day I pretend it's somewhere in Colorado or British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtravis View Post
Naw the metal detectors went in After 9/11. They wanted to keep the park safe. Still the guys at front gate have caught ppl tring to sneak in alcohol and drugs. Marsha at FG in 5 days caught 5 guys. One guard caught some guy tring to use a sprite bottle to sneak in vodka.

Anyone remember when the genrators blew up behind the carosel. Sounded likea bomb going off. Freaked ppl out by the Flume and in mexico section.
That's not true... the metal detectors went in before I left the park, and were in place when I was in security in 97/98 (edit: even earlier, as clarified by Bryan)

As far as training people to work at airports, I daresay that when I was there, our front gate screening was far more thorough than any screening I've been through at an airport before or since.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Platinum Tag !

I'm pretty sure the metal detectors were put in for the 96 season.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
General Manager

I thought the metal detectors went in about 97 when I started because I know about midway thru 97 was when they installed one at the employee entrance. Up until then you just kinda flashed your id and were let in...once the single detector went in the line was horrendous...they remodeled the empolyee entrance in late 97/early 98 to have more lines open...but still only one gaurd